Desserts stalls in Singapore usually sell sweet potato in dried longan (桂圆) soup. Using ginger is taught by my mom and I like this version.
Ingredients (5 to 8 servings)
- 3 or 4 sweet potato (red or yellow is fine)
- 1 section of ginger tuber (about 5-10 cm)
- Sugar to taste (about 8 table spoon and you adjust accordingly)
- 5 bowls water
- 2 or 3 pandan leaves
- Remove the skin of the sweet potatoes, and cut into small pieces (about 4 cm size will do)
- Wash the ginger, and smash it slightly with a handle of a cleaver or chopping knife or anything hard.
- Put water in the pot, with sweet potatoes and ginger.
- Boil for about 20 – 30 minutes (until the sweet potato is soften)
- Add sugar to taste and stir.
- Add in pandan leaves and boil for another 1-2 minute.
- Serve hot or room temperature.