This is the same as basic steam fish, with salted vegetables added.
This is good for premium fish like grouper, threadfin, pomfret (or commonly misspelled as promfet), where the meat is very tasty.
- Fish ( 1 slice of mid cut 2 cm thick, or 1 fish about 300-500gms)
- 5 slices of ginger (or replace with 1 red fresh chilli)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce.
- 1 small pieces of salted vegetables
- 1 or ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 Stalk of Chinese parsley
- Cut the ginger into strips. Or split the chilli, remove the seed and cut into strips.
- Wash and cut the salted vegetables into strips, season with sugar. Leave aside for 15 mins.
- If processing whole fish (eg pomfret, or small grouper), de-scale the fish, and remove the gut and gills. Lightly brush the gut wall with a brush to remove the blood clots. If processing fillet, just rinse with water. Drain dry.
- Rub some salt on the fish surface, (and the gut wall if whole fish is used).
- Put fish on a steaming plate, and lay the ginger or chilli on top of the fish, and some into the gut.
- Lay the salted vegetables on the fish.
- Make sure that the steamer is already on high heat and full steam. Steam the fish for 10 mins under high heat. 15 mins if the fish is big (1kg)
- Wash and chop the parsley into strips, lay them on the cooked fish while hot.
- Pour the sesame oil and soy sauce over the fish.
- Serve hot.
You can also add soft bean curd, cut into cubes and steam together