This can be drink as usual day soup. This soup with the He Shou Wu is also a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), that known to help hair growth and darkening of grey hairs.
- 3/4 cup Black beans
- 5 dried red dates
- 1 or 2 dried black dates
- 200 grams pork ribs
- 2 dried scallop (干贝)
- 4 dried oyster （蚝豉, 蚝干）
- 1 tablespoon wolf berry (枸杞子) optional
- 1 small piece of He Shou Wu (何首乌)
- 2 liters water (some will dry up during cooking)
- This step is best done days before the cooking. Heat up a pan without any oil, with low heat, stir fry the black beans till the skin split open. When cooled, keep in air tight container. (you can prepare a few sets as it can keep for 2-3 months in air tight container without moisture.). I was told that the beans are used immediately to cook soup after pan frying, it is a bit “heaty”.
- Wash all ingredients 2 to 8. Put all ingredient including the black beans in a stock or soup pot with water, bring to boil and then turn down flame to very small and allow to slow boil for 3-4 hours.
- Add salt to taste, and serve hot.
You can also cook this in slow cooker for 4 hours.