This recipe is given by my TCM doctor, to help soothe my children’s cough. He said that it can be drank even you do not have cough, it generally nourishes the lungs. You can use red apple or Chinese pear (not the European pear, see here for photos). The chuan bei mu (川贝母), North and South Almonds (南杏, 北杏) can be purchased from any Chinese medicine shop, such as 福华，正中平，shops at Hong Lim, (Singapore) and any neighborhood medicine shops.
Ingredients (serve 2 cups)
- 1 Apple or pear (梨)
- 1 Chinese tablespoon chuan pei mu (Bulbus Fritillariae Cirrhosae, 川贝母) (about 1/3 liang, or 13 grams)
- 1 ½ Chinese tablespoon north almonds (北杏)
- 1 ½ Chinese tablespoon south almonds (南杏)
- 1 Chinese tablespoon rock sugar
- 3 bowls water
- Remove the skin of apple or pear, cut into quarters and remove the core.
- Wash the almonds.
- Wash the Chuan Pei, and lightly crush it with stone pestle or anything hard (like the handle of your cleaver).
- Put all ingredients in pot with water, and bring to boil.
- Once boiled, lower to small fire and simmer for 1 hour (very low heat to prevent drying up of contents).
- Sieve and drink the water. (about 1 ½ bowls left)
Here is a picture of how chuan bei mu (川贝母) looks like